Strae set in woodland with a small burn running close by is is approximately 5 minutes walk from the quiet village of Dalavich is set on the western shores Loch Awe and within the Inverliever Forest in the Western Highlands.
Loch Awe boasts several islands which home ruined castles of which Kilchurn Castle is one of the most photographed castles in Scotland. The Cruachan Power Station visitor centre offers tours deep into the Ben Cruachan mountain where a huge cavern houses the massive turbines.
The remote location provides the ideal home to an amazing array of wildlife from the famous Scottish wildcats, red and roe deer, pine martens, otters, red squirrels and often golden eagles, sea eagles and ospreys can been seen too. A great choice of walks and cycle trails are abundant throughout the forest and local area and a great way to enjoy the scenery and its wildlife. Don’t miss the popular Onich Falls nearby.
Oban is the nearest large town, a lovely harbour town with excellent fresh seafood, variety of shops, its own distillery and the ferry gateway to the Western Isles.
Fishing - Loch Awe is widely regarded as the Scotland’s premier ‘wild’ fishing loch and renowned for its trout fishing. At approximately 25 miles long it is one of the largest Scottish freshwater lochs and offers some of the best fishing in Scotland. The largest ever brown trout ever recorded at 32lbs was caught on Loch Awe. Season dependent it is also and great for sea trout, salmon, pike, perch and char. Boat hire for recreation and fishing is available at Dalavich, fishing rights are included in the hire of any of the cabins.
For more holiday lodges & cabins on Loch Awe please click here
Local Area & Highlights
- Click here for a site plan of the Lodges available at this location - Strae Lodge is marked as no. 44
- 1 x Double bedroom
- Triple bunk room - 3 bunk beds on top of each other suitable for adults and children
- Shower room with electric shower/WC & hand basin including shaver point & heater
- Fully equipped kitchen - 4 ring stove, oven, fridge with ice box, microwave, toaster & kettle
- All necessary utensils, crockery & cutlery are provided
- Lounge / dining area with patio doors with views over burn
- Satellite TV, DVD player & Hi-fi
- Furnished raised verandah overlooking burn
- Camp fire / BBQ area
- Shores of Loch Awe only 150 yards away
- Parking for up to 2 cars
- All bedding & linen provided
- Towels not included
- Beds all made upon arrival
- Electric heating
- Pets welcome at £20.00 each per week
- Double Glazed, suitable for winter and summer letting
- Please click here for a floorplan of Strae Lodge
- Superb walks- click here for more information
- Challenging walks - Ben Cruachan, Ben Lui
- Horse riding - Dalchenna Farm Ardfern
- Oban - popular coastal and historic town, 29 miles away
- Oban Distillery
- Cruachan Power Station
- Inverary Castle - ancestral home of The Duke & Duchess of Argyll
- Loch Fyne Whiskies - Possibly one of the best "whiskey shops" in Scotland
- Inverary Jail - A 19th century jail
- Auchindrain Village - original highland village
- Kilmartin Glen & Museum
- Carnasserie Castle
- Kilchurn Castle
- Glencoe - spectacular glen just east of Ballachulish
- Sealife Centre on outskirts of Oban
- Golfingat Taynuilt, Oban and Dalmally
On Site Facilities
& Additional Information
- 5 min walk from the village of Dalavich
- Loch View Bar & Grill by south entrance to site - Great food and friendly community run bar. Opening times vary according to time of year. We cannot guarantee opening hours during low season, so please confirm before booking.
- Wild Rowan shop / cafe / part time Post Office. Provides good food all day (including takeaway) & supplies basic provisions, in a very friendly atmosphere. Also sells fishing permits, fishing tackle, outdoor & BBQ equipment.
- Loch Awe offers wonderful fishing and boating opportunities
- Mountain bike hire available locally at 'The Bike Shed' (located by Dalavich Community Centre) it is unmanned, so bikes need to be booked in advance for collection or delivery
- Adult bike - £20/day, £40/3 days or £60/week
- Child bikes & tag along - £15/day, £30/3 days or £45/week
- Boat hire available from Loch Aweside Marine in the village or from Loch Awe Boats at nearby Ardbrecknish
- Dalavich Social Club organise many functions within the wonderful Community Centre building.
- Easy access to Western Highlands
- A coin-operated launderette is available on site
- 2 hour drive from Glasgow
- 2.5 hour drive from Edinburgh
- 40 mins drive from Oban, 'Gateway to the Isles'
- Deposit is £100, balance due 4 weeks beforehand
- £100 refundable damage deposit
- A higher refundable security deposit may be requested for single sex groups
- Arrival 4.00pm & departure 10.00am
- Electricity is included
- All bedding & linen are provided
- Towels not provided
- Pets welcome at £20.00 each per week
- No smoking allowed
- Short breaks available - except peak holiday dates
- 3/4 night breaks - Sat & Tues start days
- Terms & conditions - Click here to view full booking and hire conditions