The beautiful lakeland area of Cotswolds lakes is called the Cotswold Water Park region straddles Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and West Oxfordshire and is in the southern reaches of the popular Cotswolds in South Central England.
The market town of Cirencester is close by and this region is easily accessible from many parts of the UK by motorway. It is only 90 miles from London, 66 miles from Birmingham and 41 miles from Bristol. The Cotswold Water Park region covers 40 square miles, encompasses over 150 different lakes, the infant River Thames and a number of pretty Cotswold villages. As a result this beautiful lakeland area has so much to explore, see and do for everyone, irrespective of age.
There is a very good choice of places to stay throughout the region. These include lakeside lodges set on private fishing lakes to mature cottage developments with on-site facilities and activities. These facilities include swimming pools, tennis courts, play areas, fishing and one location at the Lower Mill Estate has free access to a top quality spa called ‘ArtSpa’ with and indoor and outdoor pool and a popular restaurant nearby.
Whether you love nature reserves, the wildlife and wildfowl, country parks & picnics, getting outdoors walking and biking along well marked trails, getting out on the water or just relaxing in beautiful countryside by the water then the Cotswold Water Park region ticks all those boxes plus many more.
Activities and Highlights in the Cotswolds Lakes
There are many things to do in and about the Cotswold Water Park, these include:
- Fishing – large choice of specialist fishing lakes (carp, coarse & fly fishing) for all abilities
- Watersports – Sailing, windsurfing, canoeing, paddle-boarding, etc.
- Water-skiing, Wakeboarding, Ringos and Cable skiing
- Cycling – many well marked cycle paths & trails – bike hire available locally
- Walking – great network of footpaths & nature trails
- Thames Path, Head of the Thames & boat trips at Lechlade
- Wildlife, nature reserves and sites of special scientific interest
- Birdwatching – wonderful wetland habitats & well marked hides to view
- Great choice of pubs, cafes & restaurants
- Swimming, water adventure, boat hire, pedalos and more – Cotswold Country Park & Beach
- Many local activities including off road buggy driving, clay pigeon shooting, archery & golf
- Market towns, pretty Cotswold villages and country pubs and inns
- Easy access to the beautiful Cotswold region
Related Blog – 10 Great Reasons to visit the Cotswold Water Park region
‘Things to Do’ in the Cotswold Water Park Region – Local Directory
We have created a small directory of enjoyable things to do locally, activities and sights when visiting this very scenic lakeland region. We include web links to many of the popular local attractions & operators – please see the following link for ‘Great Things to do in the Cotswold Water Park’