The UK self catering holiday market in 2012 is proving to be somewhat quite different for Waterside Holiday Lodges & Cottage Owners than has been experienced over the last few years.
This has been due to a many different factors which include:-
- Economic uncertainty & cash concerns
- Ongoing poor weather throughout the country
- Many not taking holidays and staying at home to enjoy the Olympics
- An increased demand for short breaks rather than full week bookings
- Customers delaying booking until the very last minute
- Culture of discount deals, coupons and special offers
- High expectancy of very good last minute deals
With many owners still showing availability throughout the summer, this has resulted in many large operators and major cottage holiday companies making some significant discounts for unsold holiday during peak summer and autumn dates. These discounts have been up to 30% or more in some cases.
Whilst all these factors are not necessarily helping, there are still many customers booking holidays in the UK but they are being enticed by an array of deals and offers.
Waterside Breaks have spoken with many different owners across the country. Although many have responded to the current market conditions by making various offers for their unsold key dates we have seen a number of positive moves. Many of these measures have helped encourage additional bookings and new business.
In addition to the typical general discounting of unsold dates these include:-
- Offering short break weekends and midweek breaks throughout the Summer dates (at approximately 70% of the weekly rate)
- Encouraging early bookings for 2013 by showing prices and maybe any early booking offers
- Under occupancy discounts on larger properties by up to 20% to encourage smaller groups and couples
- Good ‘Last minute offers’ for unbooked holidays within 2 weeks of booking date
- Repeat customers offers sent out to all existing customers to encourage them to return (using well worded emails)
- Updating your website with new photos & content, making sure the highlights of your property are actually highlighted
- Take new & fresh photos of your properties and outlook – showcase the best features (waterside views, hot tub, BBQ hut, log burners etc.)
- Property floor plans & layouts – this help customers visualise your property
- Offer where applicable additional discounted deals on boat hire, FREE fishing, local restaurant deals
- If you accept only one pet maybe allow a 2nd or 3rd pet (many pet owners have more than one dog!)
- ‘Welcome pack’ which includes selection of local deals worth up to “£xxx” off local attractions etc.
- Added extras – most in demand include Wi-Fi, free bedding, no hidden extras or costs etc.
Waterside Breaks will do everything we can to work with owners to help generate more business and are happy to share thoughts and ideas to produce creative marketing campaigns.
If you are running any promotions, last minute offers or deals do please let us know and we will ensure these are highlighted on www.watersidebreaks.com and other websites including our ‘Latest Deals & Offers’ pages, Facebook & UK Late Breaks.
If you would like to make one change that will always make a difference and help set your proposition aside from the others – new ‘striking’ photography. of your holiday lodge or cottage.
We look forward to a successful second half of 2012 and wish you a good sunny remainder of the summer!
About us: Waterside Breaks specialises in marketing, promoting and offering high quality waterside holidays cottages and lodges across the UK. We offer personal service to all our customers.